UNI To Sell Beer At Football, Men’s Basketball Games
Fans attending some athletic events at the University of Northern Iowa will be able to buy beer for the first time, starting this weekend.
Alcohol will be available for purchase during all home football games at the UNI-Dome and during men's basketball games at the McLeod Center during the 2019-20 season, UNI athletic officials announced Tuesday. UNI is the first state university to make the move to sell alcohol to the general public at athletic events.
"We always look for ways to improve our fan experience and have the best game atmosphere possible," UNI Director of Athletics David Harris said. "We are excited to provide this new amenity to our fans. We did a lot of work to make sure that we do this in a safe and responsible way. I am thankful to our partners across the university and in the community who helped make this a reality."
Beer will be sold on the concourse beginning with Saturday's home-opening football game against Southern Utah, which kicks off at 4:05 PM. According to a press release, a variety of domestic and craft beers will be available for purchase.
A limit of two beers may be purchased at one time. Anyone who wishes to purchase alcohol must display a valid wristband obtained via one of the designated ID Stations located within the facility.
Alcohol sales at home football and men's basketball games will be guided by UNI Athletics alcohol sales policy, designed to promote responsible consumption and a safe and enjoyable environment for all fans.
UNI athletic officials said alcohol will be strictly prohibited in the student section and TC's Kids Zone, in both venues. The alcohol-free zones in the UNI-Dome are the lower sections of E, F, G and H (student section) and section A (TC's Kids Club). The alcohol-free zones in McLeod Center will be in sections 110 & 111 (student section) and section 112 (TC's Kids Club).
To purchase tickets for UNI's home-opening football game on Saturday, CLICK HERE.
The Panther Patio (east deck) in the McLeod Center will now be available for large groups to rent on a game-by-game basis for the upcoming men's basketball season. Call 319-273-4501 for all hospitality and pricing requests, including those for the Alumni Suite and north deck.
Fans are encouraged to report any violation of UNI's alcohol policy (listed below) or any unruly behavior by notifying stadium or law enforcement personnel, calling 319-273-2710 during football game days. Dial 911 for emergencies.
UNI Athletics Alcohol Sales Policy:
- All guests must be 21 years of age and show a valid ID to obtain a wristband before purchasing alcohol.
- A valid wristband is required at the time of purchase.
- A limit of two beers may be purchased at one time per wristband.
- Sales will begin when doors open in the UNI-Dome (hour-and-a-half prior to kickoff) and in McLeod Center for men's basketball games (One hour before tip-off).
- Sales will end when the game clock has expired at the conclusion of the third-quarter for football and 10 minutes left in the second half for men's basketball.
- Guests are not allowed to bring alcohol into the UNI-Dome or the McLeod Center and are not allowed to exit with alcohol.
- UNI Athletics reserves the right to search guests for alcoholic beverages.
- Alcohol is not allowed in the student section or in the TC's Kids Club area.
- Guests are not allowed to give alcohol to other guests under the age of 21.
- Failure to adhere to these policy guidelines may result in ejection from the arena without refund.
For more information on the University of Northern Iowa's campus-wide alcohol policy, CLICK HERE.