Reynolds Blames “Education System” for Des Moines School Shooting
Today, Reynolds blamed Iowa's "education system" for the deadly shooting that occurred last week, March 7, in the parking lot at Des Moines East High School. One boy, 15-year-old Jose David Lopez was shot and killed, while two younger girls -- aged 16 and 18 -- were left in critical condition.
This is what she said following a press conference announcing airport funding, according to WHO13:
The tragedy is our educational system is letting these kids down. They should have been in school. We should be figuring out resources to help them stay there and to help them get an education and a get life where they can take care of themselves and their family.
She added that she believes there's no need to review Iowa gun laws after the shooting. She cited the fact that the six teenagers who fired the weapons possessed them illegally. She solely pointed to the schools.
That’s where we need to focus. How do we get these kids in school, get them the education that they need, and set them up to be successful, not set them up for jail or a life of crime.
As investigations continued, it was revealed that Lopez did not attend a Des Moines public school, nor did four of the six teens who were charged for the shooting. The two girls attended East High. Des Moines Police say the act was gang-related.
In a statement made the day after the shooting, Governor Reynolds said:
I'm praying for the victims of this senseless act of violence. I am heartbroken for the families and the pain felt across the entire community.
After taking office in May of 2017, Reynolds recently announced her decision to run for re-election. She will face Democratic candidate Deidre DeJear and libertarian candidate Rick Stewart.