Video Goes Viral About Midwest Family That Poisoned Themselves
If you have been paying attention to any of the recalls in the last few months, you may have seen that J.M. Smucker Co. had a recall on select Jif peanut butter back in May. The recall was called due to Salmonella contamination, which can cause serious or even fatal illness if consumed.
Jif was recalled from store shelves nationwide to avoid illness; however, consumers were told if they had any of the peanut butter that was connected to the recall to dispose of it immediately.
One Midwest mom knew of the recall and made sure to check her family’s peanut butter to be sure it wasn’t part of the recall before the family ate it… however, they still got what they called the “Monday sickies”.
TikTok user @kelsewhatelse in Kansas City posted a video on Monday about how her family accidentally poisoned themselves for months. She said every Monday for nine weeks they got the “Monday sickies”- they called it this because they only got sick on Mondays.
On these Mondays, they would have 12 hours of fevers and then 12 hours of stomach cramps or diarrhea. This would rotate between the creator, her husband, and their son—never their baby. Doctors never could figure out what it was until one doctor asked about peanut butter.
The first nine weeks they ate the peanut butter- the recall had not been issued yet. @kelsewhatelse says after they heard the recall she only checked the big jars, forgetting about the small ones.
While the creator says she has checked their big jars of peanut butter with the recall, her husband apparently uses little cups in the back of the pantry on the weekends… and sure enough, these were included in the recall.
Because they were consuming the contaminated peanut butter in snack portions, it was never enough to hospitalize the family—but just enough to give them the “Monday sickies” every week for nine weeks.