Smoke in Downtown Decorah Alerts Firefighters
Smoke coming from a downtown Decorah building caused some concern Friday morning (Jan. 11).
The Decorah Fire Department received a 911 call shortly after 9am, from someone reporting a large amount of smoke coming out of a building at 217 East Water Street, which is downtown Decorah.
The building was evacuated.
An investigation revealed that the smoke was coming from a malfunctioning furnace in the building. There was only minor damage, and no injuries were reported.
Fire units were on the scene until about 9:45am. The Decorah Fire Department was assisted by the Winneshiek County Sheriff's Office, Winneshiek Medical Center Ambulance, and Decorah Police.