Things are looking up, weather-wise this week in Eastern Iowa, as most of us will see temps in the 40s, while others may hit or exceed 50 degrees. Has your been dog been getting antsy the past few months (I know mine has) getting excited for walking weather?
Eastern Iowa has a plethora of dog parks that have popped up in recent years, and they are a great way for your four-legged best friend to make new friends and get exercise. You can see the list of the best ones nearby at the bottom of this article, but if you'd like to combine two of your dog's favorite things, a walk, AND a ride, there's a new dog park opening soon, about an hour and a half from Cedar Rapids, in Bondurant.
The Des Moines Register says funds are coming together for the $91,000 project to get underway soon.
It's going to be located in Lake Patocka Park by the Chichaqua Valley Trail. Local students in Bondurant are helping design the park, because, who better? They've designed a logo and will help design everything from tire jumps, flexible pole weaves, adjustable bar jumps, ramps, decorative fire hydrants, and garbage cans. Students who help next year will be able to earn school credit.
The ribbon-cutting is set to take place in June 2023.
Now, let's take a look at those local spots where Fido & Friends can hang out and goof around.
Cheyenne Off-Leash Dog Park
- 1650 Cedar Bend Ln SW, Ely, IA
- Open 5 a.m. to 10 p.m Sunday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
K9Acres Off-Leash Area
- 5200 Golf Course Rd, Marion, IA 52302
- Open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. 7 days a week
Dave Wright Family Dog Park
- 711 Kainz Dr, Hiawatha
- Open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. 7 days a week
Pat Bowlsby Off-Leash Dog Park
- 1320 Campbell Ave, Waterloo, IA 50701
- Open 24/7
Tiffin Dog Park
- Tiffin, IA
- Open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., 7 days a week
- 3200 S Main St, Cedar Falls, IA
- Open 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., 7 days a week
Red Fern Dog Park
- 980 N Liberty Rd NE, North Liberty, IA
- Hours and more information available on their website