The world was watching Tuesday afternoon as the verdict in the Derek Chauvin case was announced. After 10 hours of deliberation, the jury returned a guilty verdict on all three charges against the former Minneapolis police officer. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled for about 8 weeks from now.

Shortly after the verdict was read, Chauvin was handcuffed and escorted out of the courtroom. That's when viewers noticed something was scribbled on his hand and people immediately started to speculate. You can see the image of his hands above and watch him being taken away in this video. (TMZ was able to solve the mystery - read what was written below.)

Here’s What Was Written on Derek Chauvin’s Hand as He Was Led Away in Cuffs

TMZ reached out to Derek's lawyer, Eric Nelson, to ask what was written on his client's hand. Chauvin's lawyer, Eric Nelson, told the website that typically covers celebrity gossip, "his client wrote the number (his lawyer's phone number) ahead of the conviction because the convicted former cop knew if the jury found him guilty of second-degree murder he'd almost certainly have his bail revoked and he'd be remanded to custody."

derek chauvin writing on hand verdict


Governor Tim Walz issued a statement immediately after the verdict was read. Walz described the jury's decision as an important step forward for justice in Minnesota but also stated "our work has only begun."

Timeline: George Floyd's Death, Protests, Riots, Arrests, Chauvin Trial

It was late afternoon on Memorial Day, 2020 and many Minnesotans had observed the normally active weekend hunkered down because of the growing pandemic.

George Floyd drove to a grocery store in Minneapolis and bought some cigarettes. He was accused by employees of making the purchase with a counterfeit $20 bill and police were called. Floyd was still there in his vehicle when two officers arrived. About 10 minutes later, Chauvin and another officer showed up and the situation began to escalate. Chauvin began kneeling on Floyd's neck as he was facedown on the street. Despite repeated pleas from Floyd and a growing crowd of bystanders to remove his knee, Chauvin continued as if frozen in position with no facial expression. 

After more than 8 minutes, Chauvin finally stood up and Floyd had become unresponsive. An ambulance was called and a short while later, it was reported Floyd was dead.

A video of the incident slowly spread on social media around the state, the country and the world. Viewers literally watched a man slowly die, repeating "I can't breathe." 

The now historic response began the following day.

More From AM 950 KOEL