Champions Crowned in Inaugural Iowa’s Virtual Dirt Track Classic
It's official. Iowa's Virtual Dirt Track Classic crowned five champions during the Bill Colwell Ford Main Event. Thank you to everyone who voted in our first ever virtual race.
Over 21,000 votes were cast to determine the first ever winners. Those votes helped power some of the best dirt track racers from the Hawkeye State to some exciting finishes in the Modified, Late Model, Stock Car, Hobby Stock, & SportMod/Bmod divisions.
We can't thank the dirt track racing fans enough for their support of this event. You made this a fun off-season event, and there were some exciting finishes right to the very end. Plans are already being talked about to make this event that much more exciting in 2017.
A special thank you to Bill Colwell Ford in Hudson for helping be apart of this great event. Bill Colwell Ford is located in Hudson... just ten minutes south of Waterloo on Highway 63. They're worth the drive!
Not only were the inaugural Bill Colwell Ford champions crowned during the 2016 Iowa's Virtual Dirt Track Classic, but the final episode of the Grudge Nationals video series was also released. Find that video at the bottom of this page.
The thrilling conclusion of "Episode 3: The Race" features K985.com's Bucky Doren and KCRR.com's Cory Ford in their own dirt track race. Q923.net's Will Bradley also joins the duo to try and steel the spotlight. A special thanks to dirt track racing's Corey Dripps & Scott Hogan for their cameos. We would also like to thank the owners of 175 Speedway Rick & Kim Dripps for opening their gates for this unique event.
- - - - -
IOWA'S VIRTAUL DIRT TRACK CLASSIC
BILL COLWELL FORD MAIN EVENT
Racing veteran Kelly Shryock and young gun Matt Webb battled for the win in the closing laps. Thanks to a last day fan-voted boost, Webb was able to slip by Shryock for the lead and the eventual win. Shrycok had to settle for second. Troy Cordes and JD Auringer were able to make a late race charge to move past "Jammin'" Jimmy Gustin. Cordes finished third follwed by Auringer and Gustin.
MODIFIED FINAL RESULTS:
1. Matt Webb, 2. Kelly Shryock, 3. Troy Cordes, 4. JD Auringer, 5. Jimmy Gustin, 6. Ronn Lauritzen, 7. Scott Hogan, 8. Hunter Marriott, 9. Todd Shute, 10. Richie Gustin Jr., 11. Cayden Carter, 12. Dustin Smith.
- - - - -
Of the five divisions in competition during the Bill Colwell Ford Main Event, the VDTC Late Model feature was the closest contest. In the closing laps, young gun Tyler Droste was fending off challenges from the driver that has scored the most IMCA Deery Brothers Summer Series wins. There was also a very late charge from John Emerson to make a bid for the win. Droste would take the win by one vote over Emerson. Aikey finished third just one vote behind Emerson. Todd Cooney and Justin Kay rounded out the Top 5.
LATE MODEL FINAL RESULTS:
1. Tyler Droste, 2. John Emerson, 3. Jeff Aikey, 4. Todd Cooney, 5. Justin Kay, 6. Andy Nezworski, 7. Ray Guss Jr., 8. Sean Johnson, 9. Paul Nagle, 10. Matt Ryan, 11. Brian Harris, 12. Tyler Bruening.
- - - - -
Damon Murty held a commanding lead at the midway point of the Bill Colwell Ford Main Event, but Jake Masters moved to the high side of the track, and he started to reel in Murty. Masters was able to work by Murty in the final two days of voting to take over the lead and the eventual win. Murty settled for second. Nathan Wood, Jarod Weepie, and John Campbell made up the rest of the Top 5.
STOCK CAR FINAL RESULTS:
1. Jake Masters, 2. Damon Murty, 3. Nathan Wood, 4. Jarod Weepie, 5. John Campbell, 6. Norman Chesmore, 7. Cayden Carter, 8. Mike Nichols, 9. Donavon Smith, 10. Kevin Opheim, 11. Devin Smith, 12. David Smith.
- - - - -
Once Justin Wach was able to work past early race leader Benji Irvine, the "Mad Hatter" was able to pull away for the win in the inaugural VDTC feature event. Irvine finished second. Nathan Ballard came home third follwed by Shannon Anderson and Austin Lueelen.
HOBBY STOCK FINAL RESULTS:
1. Justin Wacha, 2. Benji Irvine, 3. Nathan Ballard, 4. Shannon Anderson, 5. Austin Luellen, 6. Eric Stanton, 7. Cody Nielson, 8. Quinton Miller, 9. Shawn Kuennen, 10. John Watson, 11. Steve Larson, 12. Brandon Nielson.
- - - - -
The SportMod/Bmod Bill Colwell Ford Main Event say the most votes cast to determine our first ever champion. By the midway point of the A-Main, it had become the Olson & Olson show. Tony Olson versus Kyle Olson for the win. Tony Olson would eventual cross the finish first with the most votes for any driver. Kyle Olson finished in second with the second most votes for any driver. Danny Dvorak had a strong finish advancing two spots to come home third. Clint Luellen and Curtis Van Der Wal rounded out the Top 5.
SPORTMOD/BMOD FINAL RESULTS:
1. Tony Olson, 2. Kyle Olson, 3. Danny Dvorak, 4. Clint Luellen, 5. Curtis Van Der Wal, 6. Bryce Garnhart, 7. Jared VanDeest, 8. Jake McBirnie, 9. Johnathon Logue, 10. Tyler Soppe, 11. Austin Kaplan, 12. Dakoda Sellers.
- - - - -
GRUDGE NATIONALS: Episode 3 "The Race"
Watch more videos about the Grudge Nationals video series, click here.